Monday, August 9, 2010

King Bluebeard

I was standing in my kitchen, eating a chocolate chip cookie, staring at the astrology calendar on my refrigerator and wondering what to paint next.  It's August, so naturally the calendar featured a lion (for Leos) to illustrate the month.  This lion in particular had lots of swoops and swirls that looked like they would be so fun to paint.  So, here is my interpretation of that lion.

Painting Three: "King Bluebeard" 16" x 20" Acrylic on Hardboard $75

I didn't use any new mediums for this, but I did learn one thing: don't overwork the paint; even using flow release, the color can begin to muddy and the texture becomes sort of clumpy.  As a result of my overworking, the lion's face has a strange texture that I'm not real happy with, but his mane is so beautiful that, overall, I love this painting.  I think it would be really great in a little boy's room... there's a Narnia-ish quality to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com