Friday, August 27, 2010

The Cracker Queen

First, a disclaimer.  In my previous post, I said I was going to try to incorporate some things I "learned" from Jane.  That was wrong.  I should have said I was going to try to make my project look like hers.  Ahem.  I should really splurge on some of her tutorials.  This looks nothing like what she produces.  But that's okay because if I get over that fact, I think this is... charming, maybe?

So... this is Business Painting 002.  It's for my friend Lauretta Hannon, author of The Cracker Queen.  I call her my friend because after I read her book, I sent her an email and she actually wrote me back.  And then, even more amazingly, we had "brunch" at the Silver Skillet in Atlanta.  See.  FRIENDly.  It was very cool to meet her.  She's not only funny, but she's insightful and genuine,  Those are qualities that I admire in a person.  You should really read her book.

Here's a picture of Lauretta when she was... I don't know... little.


So I drew her as best I could.  I think I did pretty good, but I just didn't capture the sweetness and bliss of her face.  My drawing looks too "grownie" ("grownie" is a term I've heard people say around here; mature or grown-up looking is what they mean).

Here is my mixed media piece.

11" x 14" mixed media (acrylic, newspaper, cut paper, pencil, ink) on hardboard
I mixed some media and here is what I learned: I love the look of that ink, but it ALWAYS smears when I try to varnish it.  I need an alternative that won't smear.

I also learned that, in art as in life, you shouldn't try to copy anyone.  You'll always fall short of the original.  It's better to just admire, try to incorporate a tip or technique and follow your own heart.  You have a better shot at being satisfied with the results.

This is for you Lauretta.  Literally.  I'm mailing it to you.

One last thing.  You may be saying, this isn't really her logo or business card.  Well, first of all, it has those ball-pointed asterisk-looking things on just like the cover of her book.  And second of all, you haven't sent me any business cards or logos yet.  Get on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com